President & CEO – International Finance Bank
President & CEO – American National Bank
Regional President South Florida – Iberiabank
Executive Vice President & Regional Executive – FirstBank Florida
On January 17, 2018, South Florida Banking Institute welcomed the new year by hosting the annual CEO Panel at Airport Hilton Hotel. Knowledgeable panelists composed of Ginger Martin, President and CEO of American National Bank, Mario Trueba, Regional President South Florida Iberiabank, and Calixto Garcia-Velez, Executive Vice President and Regional Executive of FirstBank Florida. The event was moderated by Jose Cueto, President & CEO of International Finance Bank. Topics of discussion included those of leadership, growth, cyber security, and regulations.
As of today, BSA remains one of the biggest and ongoing regulatory challenges faced by banks. Whether banks are being regulated by the FCC or OCC, making sure that the bank is positioned correctly for the next 10 years is a high priority. Banks who are regulated by the OCC have to stay updated on risk-based security measures, cybersecurity, all while promoting a diverse banking system that benefits the overall U.S. economy.
Ginger Martin, Mario Trueba, and Calixto Garcia-Velez all examined the various values it takes to not only lead but also to foster innovative and creative thinking within your organization.
They are as follows:
- Listen. “If you’re talking you’re not learning”
- Have a positive mentality
- Make sure you are getting feedback – Encouraging bad news is better than to not receive any news
- Do not micromanage
- Do not confuse regulators with regulations
- If you want to grow and expand your horizons, you have to take risks
- Be clear with your alignment and expectations
- Stay relevant
- If you are a big organization already, take a step back into a “boutique” mentality to best service your customers
- Ask your team “What can I do different, in order for you to be successful”
- Add value to your organization
- Create solutions, not problems
Thank you for joining SFBI’s first event of 2018.
Make sure to register for the next event!
Date: February 21, 2018
Time: 5:30 pm – 8:00 pm
Cocktail Hour: 5:30 pm – 6:30 pm
Miami Airport Hilton
5102 Blue Lagoon Drive
Miami, FL 33126
Early registration on or before 02/19/18 at 5:00 pm:
- Member $65.00
- Non-Member $125.00
At Door Registration:
- Member $100.00
- Non-Member $160.00